more about batteries

I did spent last days on reading articles about powering, batteries, chargers, safety etc. You cannot choose correct parts without understand basic physics knowledge. All those dependences between voltage, capacity, discharge rate are important.

As I wrote before rotors that I own require 4s batteries, 4 cells and to archive the longest time fly I would like to buy the most powerful batteries.  Two batteries are my target right now that should allow me to create quad that will be able to fly 20 minutes flights with those parts :
  • ZIPPY Compact 5800mAh 4S 25C/35C
  • Turnigy 5800mAh 4S 25C/35C
Prices are very similar, Turnigy is little more expansive than Zippy compact and this difference do not impact on my decision.

I`m still analyzing what should I buy. I would like to have Turnigy batteries the best but there are some pro and consts this package. The first of all Turnigy battery seems to be bigger and heavier than ZIPPY. I did select DJI 800Kw motors that are less powerful than standard 960Kw (suggested for F450 kit by many modelers ) and I should be very careful about this weight parameter. 
The second item that I should be aware seems to be default changing rate. Turnigy charging rate is set on 2C level what is higher than for Zippy compact where charging rate is set on 1C level.

As I understand correctly for Thurnigy I have to order more powerful charger that support 2C charging rate instead 1C where changers are more expansive. Zippy batteries do not required so powerful chargers and something around 100W should be fine to charge it.

Summarizing default power required for both batteries to charge them on stock values should be:
  • Zippy :  3,4Vx4(cells number) x 1S ( 5,8A) = 85,84W
  • Turnigy 3,4Vx4(cells number)x 2S (11,6A)= 171W.
The only one charger with low prices that support more the 200W that I found with not so high prices is TURNIGY REAKTOR 250W but price do not include power supply. Adding power supply on top of that my costs will grow too much. Minimum you can buy also XBOX 360 213W power supply and change connector to fit this charger. I`m additionally not so strong with all those changes.

I think in the case on Zippy you can find much more chargers like: T610AC plus that are able to change this battery well. Mentioned T610 charger includes also power supply and price is 1/3 less than Turnigy.
I`m not thinking about better chargers like TURNIGY REAKTOR 300W, prices are very different than 100W or 200W changers. But .. if I decide to buy any 200W chargers upgrade to Hexa will be more easy because it`s probably supports 2xZIPPY compact 5800 batteries to be charge at the same time.
Time for decision is ticking away ..... I little afraid about ZIPPY, there are so many negative comments on various forms about ZIPPY quality.  Many modelers said ZIPPY has not so good quality ... I don’t know.

Yes ... power topic from day to day staying to be the most important. Hope this week I will select final solution.

Comments