openVPN with cloud / VPS services - basic steps

Today`s post won`t be related drones too much but this topic is important for me.
As I mentioned before there are huge problems to get sim cards with assigned public IP and “good” data planes with it. The solution that can eliminate this problem seems to be connection between UAV and ground station thru cloud based services. In this case both UAV and Android Tablet (CGS) will be authorized in the same VPN entry with common subnet and they will be able to see each other inside this network. For this solution I do not need sim card with external IP because both devices need to have only internet access and VPN client will dial-in VPS server.


This is reason why I decided to deep dive into cloud based services and next couple of weeks.
I will be testing VPN solution across various VPS/Cloud based services. As for now I have chosen Aruba Cloud Services where I installed Open VPN access server ( they are giving external IP for they servers without additional costs). Both UAV/drone and android tablet are able to login VPN services now using my home network. I did my setup base on following movie:


Whole installation process is very clear but I spend a few days to discover it , of course :).
Be also aware that this training move is little outdated ( access server looks little different now ) but base on this whole connection can be setup within 30 minutes. Client applications works well on RPI and Android side as well. Access server allows to get 2 free client licences and it just enough for me - one for drone and one for CGS .

Next week I will run this setup for LTE connection also and then I can check real latency which I expect can be little bigger camparing for direct IP connections that I have right now. We will see.

Comments