LTE data plans and streaming resolution

I didn't have a chance to think about cellular data plans before but this is important element if you are thinking about cellular network connected drones. My current configuration requires two LTE/SIM data plans to establish connections between drone and ground station.

The first one is assigned to ground station only.  For UDP purposes sim card has assigned public IP address and additionally I have 10GB of data available monthly.  In theory this plan allow me to perform about 20 flights monthly, 20-30 minutes long with HD quality (720p).

Second card is drone located and it does not require public IP. In this case I can use any other, even prepaid card with good data plan. It’s good to have bigger data limit on this card than first one in the case you are planning video streaming to web. Web streaming won't consume your ground station data plan because packages are send directly to web and streaming services only.
It was reason why I bought cheap prepaid card with large - 1.4TB limit available for consumption with expiry date - 11/2019. At the moment these two cards are enough for me. 

There is one more small topic related data consumption when I`m writing about data plans and LTE connections. How many data can be consumed during video streaming. There are two basic resolutions for video streaming that can impact my data plans:
  • 480p -> 854 x480 (SD)
  • 720p > 1280x720 (HD)
When I`m flying regular tests I setup gstreamer for 480p resolution and 720p for Youtube streaming. In both cases very important should be to remember about LTE upload limits. My LTE modem support only 50Mbps "upload" speed and I need to setup gstreamer bitrate lower than this value. I need to check it in future with the next tests. The video stream bitrate should not exceed the modem capability.

Comments