more about video streaming

As you remember from my previous posts I think video streaming using 2 mobile phones should works very fine I think but it not cheap solution. HD stream will require good/big data LTE packages for both side receiver and sender and of course you have 2 ways to complete it. The first one is probably very complicated – move streaming camera out of phone ( probably very expansive task in any service ) or buy expensive phone like Huawei Honor i7 or something from following list: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/150701/technology-mobiles-and-tabs/gallery/10-handsets-rotating-camera?gImgId=77140#s which supports LTE also. Probably next you have to protect your digital/ touch screen not to break it during first flights. Maybe you can check also new LG LTE camera but I didn’t review it in details due huge cost of this solution vs big risk of damaging device.

I have started to focus on simpler solution like : USB external camera connected to any computer ( maybe android based ) with external modem connected this device and powered from power bank.

Components that I have as for now are : 3-4 types of pc usb cameras + inspection mini camera, zagg 3000 2.1A power bank , old Huawei E5220s-Z modem/router (3G only) and Minix Neo X7 android TV player with KitKat version downloaded and upgraded from MINIX forum. Additionally as I wrote I have Raspberry PI3 that I`m using as a regular laptop.

Most of those part are too big to attach them to my small drone but overall you can test some video streaming scenarios using them.

In theory again everything is simple just connect and run.  I did start with first 2 components : my usb cam’s + Minix player connected to regular power adapter. For communication with net I did use WiFI build in android player and only receiver ( tablet or phone ) were connected outside my home network.

I did install first all popular streaming camera applications from market or any other streaming services. ( AirDroid, Ustream, Twitch, USB Camera, Wi FI webcam, Camera Stream, USB WEB, Open Camera, Camera FI +live, IP Webcam , livestream and some others , don’t remember right now )

I start test with my drone main camera – Manta via USB but all test failed. Any of those programs support it. Next I did test my PC Microsoft live cam, same results – it failed.   Then I did use my Creative VFO640. And that was good choice, I did buy this camera some years ago to run on my MAC OS because Microsoft one didn`t start at all. This one is UPNP cam and is did capture first screens with Camera FI and IP web cam. Same results were with mini endoscope Android camera.
Base on that I did select for next test only those 2 devices.  More or less I can say now external USB camera works with Android TV and allows to send poor quality video over net. Finally I did connect Creative cam to TV box using 640x480 resolution and 15 frames /sec video stream.

I`m little disappointed this streaming quality now.

Comments