Modem and internet connection

It’s time to write something more about communication between drone and operator that will used for video streaming and future for communication with my drone. As that was highlighted some time ago I`m planning to send video streaming via LTE networks.
To complete this 2 elements are important : the first one modem which allows to setup connection and second one good internet provider supporting LTE with good data plans. I think for one 20 minutes drone session I need to spend up to 80MB of data ( 40MB for uploading stream to cloud and 40 for downloading  it on different device ) . Overall I need 2 separate SIM cards. Modem will be mounted on drone of course together with android box.
I review in details all possibilities and finally I have chosen to use LTE SIM card with USB/LTE stick modem connected do external power bank.
Why? USB modems are usually small but can operate with android or Unix environments. Additionally having external power bank and can connect it to android player responsible for streaming.
Modem will be connected with android box via WIFI and it can be the biggest risk of this plan because both radios works 2.4GHZ frequency ( WIFI and my Sky fly radio control). But I hope there will be possibility to setup different channels for them and everything should be fine.
Modem should allow to reconnect internet automatically because I think sometimes there can be problems with connection during flight and connection can be dropped. To avid it auto connect function is required.
Reviewing online shops I dropped all types of modem/routers different then USB stick because they have additional battery and it will be unnecessary for this solution they can only impact on drone weight.
The best option which I was looking for was USB stick with router that support the latest LTE standard working with 150 MBps speed but I didn’t find it.
Finally I found little older LTE modem what operates with FDD-LTE network and support up to 50M upload / 100MBps download speeds. It not the latest one but for me should be fine. Probably it won`t support FullHD streaming but I will be using resolution below HD it should be ok.
Modem PLATINET LTE 4G USB Modem with WiFi Hotspot is good solution for me. To run internet you need only to plug-in power source and connection will be established automatically. I do not need to write additional application for android or add any scripts for Unix in future even when I will deceive to migrate to raspberry based solution. It support 4g/3g networks and I will have networks coverage everywhere. Additionally  hot spot feature will allow me to connect with android box very easy. The latest benefit of this modem is weight 24g only.
I have only one real issue right now with this modem. To establish internet connection it’s require to remove PIN from SIM card and my current internet provider ( Orange ) does not allow to do that !
I have good plan but I need to change this provider and use different one maybe T-mobile because they do not have similar restriction related PIN authorization for internet cards.

Comments